Removing plaque is one the determining factors in the prevention of tooth decay and gum disease. These are the reasons behind the real culprits of bacteria. Brushing teeth bi-daily can help you fight against these germs (5 to 6 hours after brushing, the first bacteria begin to colonize your dental surfaces), so it is important to have a daily regimen that is followed religiously. Visiting a Dentist can also help you with regular cleanings twice a year, or more, as directed. Listed below are some tips to help with the dental hygiene process in Chicago.
* Brushing: Do so after every meal and for about three minutes. Your toothbrush should have a small head with soft bristles. The hairs need to be nylon, which allows for a rounded tip, so you do not injure the gums. It should be changed every three months.
* Technique: Your Dentist in Chicago will explain that your brush needs to be angled at 45 degrees when brushing. This is so the bristles are mounted on the gums and teeth properly. Move the brush in circular movements at the edge of the gum line to the upper teeth. Your dentist may advise you to use one or more accessories to brush in the inter-dental spaces. These are designed to eliminate plaque at the base of the teeth and stimulate the gums.
* Dental floss: Removes plaque on the side surfaces of the teeth. Wire is stretched between two teeth and is rubbed up and down by holding the wire on the tooth. Remember to clean both sides of the inter-dental space.
* Irrigation: This is a device that a Dentist in Chicago will use to project a jet of water at high pressure into the inter-dental spaces. In addition to massaging the gums, it helps to remove blocked debris, but does not eliminate bacteria or dental plaque. It does not replace the toothbrush either.
* Chewing sugarless gum: Saliva, for its anti-bacterial properties, helps set up an anti-caries wall. Chewing gum stimulates saliva production.
Cosmetic Dentistry, like General Dentistry, can help you with all these aspects as well. It is important to speak with your dentist if you have any questions or concerns. Setting up a consultation with Windy City Family Dental Dentist is a great way to establish yourself as a patient, but it is also a fantastic way to learn the many ways of perfecting daily hygiene.
Be the first to like.